Held at 12.30 pm on the 8th December 2016, Monash University, Caulfield VIC
Present: Chris Vinning, Maia Ponsonnet, Nick Enfield, Anna Margetts, Rebecca Defina, Nicholas Evans, Keith Allan, Caroline Jones, Kate Burridge, Jean Mulder, David Bradley, Hoda Nawar, Rachel Nordlinger, Ian Green, Bill Forshaw, Carmel O’Shannessy, Jeff Siegel, Amanda Hamilton, David Osgarby, Jackie van den Bos, Rob Amery, John Giacon, Jane Simpson, Greville Corbett, Alice Gaby, Diana Eades, Cindy Schneider, John Newman, Simon Musgrave, Cara Penry Williams, Minna Korhonen, Rob Mailhammer, Celeste Rodriguez Louro, Barbara Kelly, Ksenia Gnevsheva, Catherine Travis, Loy Lising, Dam Peters, Amy Boraeter, Chloe Diskin, Terrence Szymanski, Ina Bornkessel-Schlesewsky, Tomohiro Sakai, I Wayan Arka, Cathy Bow, Sana Bharadwaj, Arvind Iyengar, Peter Kipka, Dan Jiao, Xuen Wang, Keyi Sun, Padraic Quinn, Sophie Richard, Mary Laughren, David Nash, Jonathan Schlossberg, Harriet Sheppard, Jess Birnie-Smith, Lee Murray, Lesley Stirling
Keith Allen, Mark Harvey, Alan Libert, Katie Jepson, Bill Palmer, Andrea Schalley, Nick Thieberger, Ilana Mushin, Joe Blythe
2. Minutes of the 2015 AGM accepted (L Stirling/K Allan)
3. Matters arising
· AJL and Open Access:
LS noted that the question was asked at the 2015 AGM as to what happens to back issues of the journal if a library stops subscribing. The Executive checked with Taylor and Francis after the AGM last year. Taylor and Francis confirmed that if a library cancels subscription to AJL they lose access to the archive, though they retain perpetual access for the year of subscription. (Ordinarily subscriptions allow access back to 1997 online).
· ALS website improvements
LS reported that work is underway to add extra information about ALS to the website e.g. list of past office holders. Andrea Schalley has constructed a list of past office holders from old newsletters and this will be added to the website soon.
LS announced the 6 recipients of the new $5000 ALS research grant:
• Amy Budrikis (UWA) Indigenous perspectives on intergenerational language transmission and language learning
• Yishan Huang (ANU) Zhangzhou syllables and [nasal]: competition between harmony and the OCP
• Jaime Hunt & Sacha Davis (Newcastle) German as a heritage language in Newcastle and the Hunter
• Heather Kember & Marina Kalashnikova (Western Sydney) Come on kids, pay attention to your prosody!
• Louise Kyriaki (UniSA) The role of the dorsal stream in sequence-dependent language processing
• Gabrielle McGinnis (Newcastle) Wagiman spatial heritage
This scheme will continue next year and LS encouraged applications.
LS reported that the Jalwang Scholarship started this year, funded by a generous donation from an anonymous donor. LS expressed that ALS is very grateful to the donor. One scholarship will be awarded each year, up to $5000 for a student or recent graduate (up to 2 years out of research degree) to make community oriented resources. The scholarship is intended to fund less established researchers that have less access to funding.
ALS is about to sign a new contract (2017-2022) with Taylor and Francis (T&F). The ALS Exec has approved a new contract which involves the same arrangements as the current one but with:
· increased editorial expenses (increases from $10561 to $15000);
· an annual author award of $1000; and
· provision of admin support for the Editor at no cost to ALS.
LS presented Alan Dench and Tim Pittman’s (Curtin) analysis of recent ARC grant funding (analysis of 2004 code as first FOR code only). The main message is that linguistics looks robust, around 9 grants per year. Nick Evans says that ARC assured CoEDL that ARC DP funds were from a different pool of funds; the dip in 2016 may relate to CIs in CoEDL not applying for grants. Limitations to this analysis (e.g. other primary FOR codes) were discussed and the possibility of ALS doing this analysis more broadly for next AGM.
LS thanked the members of the Exec for their work during the year.
Nothing to report
The Treasurer's report was presented by the President on behalf of the Treasurer. The report is attached.
The overall position is good: at end June 2016 the ALS had total assets of $436,508. The total income for the year to end June is $78,502 (membership fees, publications revenue and 2015 conference surplus), plus other income (interest and managed funds income) of $5200. Operating expenses were $29,273, the main expenses being linguistics discipline support, publication expenses and scholarships paid. There is a net profit of $54,521 for the year.
LS invited questions for the Treasurer, Mark Harvey, but no one had questions.
4.4 Journal Editors
Keith Allan reported that in the past 12 months there have been 114 submissions from 21 countries. 28% from China, 27% from Australia, 22% from Iran, and 5% from Malaysia. There are about 20 manuscripts undergoing review and several awaiting resubmission. 68.5% of papers are rejected initially as inappropriate for one reason or another. Following review, 13.5% have been accepted, 8% rejected but asked to resubmit, 10% are rejected. The 2016 volume 36 includes 24 articles. And already the first two issues of the 2017 volume 37 are online, and all but one paper in the third issue is prepared to go to T&F for a total of 12 articles. There are also many book reviews. Keith expressed thanks again to all those who spend time reviewing for AJL, and to those who have submitted papers. Keith asked those present to submit good material to AJL and cite it frequently to help raise its impact factor further.
LS commented that although the AJL impact factor has been varying a lot, the advice from T&F is that this is normal for an impact factor that is below a certain level.
4.5 Associate Secretary
Andrea Schalley is stepping down. AS has served in this role since 2010 and is happy to pass the baton on to someone else. AS said she really enjoyed reading all the news that passed through her hands during this time and she hopes to stay involved with the ALS in the future.
Andrea has been inducted as a full Professor in Karlstad University in Sweden. Motion for an expression of appreciation to Andrea Schalley from ALS (L Stirling / K Allan & N Evans).
4.6 CIPL (UNESCO Comité International Permanent des Linguistes) Representative
David Bradley advised that the next CIPL event is in Cape Town, South Africa, July 2-8 2018. One of the keynotes will be Nick Evans. The organisers are inviting proposals for workshops, due 13 Jan 2017. The call for abstracts will also be put in ALS newsletter. David Bradley has recently become President of CIPL and looks forward to representing ALS in this capacity.
4.7 ALS2016 Organisers (Monash)
Kate Burridge and Simon Musgrave gave a brief report on the ALS conference 2016 held at Monash. Kate says they owe a huge thanks to Mel Burns, Kathy Sell, Allie Severin and an army of volunteers and thanked all for coming. Simon reported that the budget figures look under control so far.
Motion for a vote of thanks to Monash organisers (L Stirling / K Allan).
4.8 ALS2017 Organisers (University of Sydney)
Nick Enfield, Maia Ponsonnet. Maia noted that this will be the 50th anniversary for ALS. The ALS 2017 conference will start on Mon 4 Dec in late afternoon with plenary and reception for 50th anniversary. The ALS Exec has agreed to give financial support for this reception. Then the ALS conference runs Tues 5, Wed 6, Thurs 7. The venue will be at the Holme Building at the main Camperdown campus. The organisers plan four parallel sessions. Proposal for fees: full standard $310, full early bird $250; concession standard $220 and concession earlybird $180. This will allow ALS2017 to break even with 190 paying participants.
Nick noted that ALS 2017 will be back to back with ALT, and hopes that an international audience will come to ALS. Nick invited suggestions for ways of facilitating that. The plenary speakers will be Mary Laughren, Alice Gaby, Balthasar Bickel and Bill Foley. Jacky Troy will also participate in the events.
5. Future ALI and ALS conferences
LS reported that Ina and Matthias Bornkessel-Schlesewsky at UniSA have offered to host ALS 2018 in Adelaide. The ALS had been trying to keep the conference in same location as CoEDL Summer School but it is a great opportunity to have it in Adelaide.
LS called for bids to host ALS 2019. Celeste Rodriguez Louro offered potentially that UWA might host in 2020.
Jane Simpson suggests that we look into colocating with the Linguistic Society of New Zealand. JS said that the applied linguists run in tandem and it might be worth ALS doing something similar. There was general interest in colocating and a discussion ensued concerning times of year, travel costs, juggling with SST. Nick Evans suggested possibly colocating with the LSNZ every third year. LS said that the ALS Executive should speak to the LSNZ. NE suggested asking them about 2019 since ALS has as yet no host. Kate Burridge suggested liaising also with ALAA who liaise with NZ.
6. Australian Computational and Linguistics Olympiad (OzCLO)
Elisabeth Mayer, Chair of National Steering committee, OzCLO, provided a report: In the name of OzCLO, she would like to thank the Australian Linguistic Society for their generous support of $5,000 per year until 2018.
The 2016 competition saw a new growth record with an unprecedented increase in the number of participants in relation to the previous year. Schools competed with 545 teams made up of 2136 students from across seven states and territories – ACT, NSW (with 2 regions), NT, QLD, SA, VIC, and WA. Two regions offered an offline Round 1: ACT (32 teams and 123 participants) and NSW (36 teams and 140 participants). In the online Round 1, 1873 students from 477 teams participated simultaneously across the country, beating any previous years’ numbers.
This year, the two teams representing Australia at the IOL in Mysore, India, were two senior teams, one from a private school from Victoria (national gold finalist) and one from a public school from NSW (national silver finalist), both of which brought home some of the best results ever achieved in OzCLO's history by an Australian team. The two teams broke all previous records and brought home several medals: Silver in the team contest, one Gold and one Silver in the individual contests, and a mention for best problem solution.
The Australian delegation of eight students was accompanied by two teachers and a parent. Congratulations to all team members on their excellent performance and to their helpers for their support in preparing the teams.
OzCLO is indebted to Griffith University for hosting the online competition and particularly to Andrea Schalley and her fantastic team for supervising the online competition from Germany and the Netherlands at the wee hours of the night. Regarding sponsorship, each of the OzCLO locations has maintained good links with their local prize sponsors, and the Macquarie Dictionary has extended its support for OzCLO, contributing prizes to the National winners – 16 prizes in all, plus a prize for the winners’ schools. And finally, the goodwill and contributions of all the regional organisers and many student helpers who generously dedicated their time and efforts to this very worthy cause is duly acknowledged.
Mary Laughren remarked that if anyone has problems to contribute she is happy to receive them, and Rachel Nordlinger encouraged attendees to come up with a problem. There is a lot of support for OzCLO and Australia frankly could be doing more to support the international cause in this practical way. Mary adds that OzCLO is hugely important because of the impact on enthusiasm of teachers who start up OzCLO even after they move schools. LS added that the language and the law symposium held at this year’s conference had made it clear that there are myths and negative views about linguistics amongst the general public and OzCLO goes some way towards redressing this.
7. Awards (Jalwang, Laves, Clyne, Kaldor, Talkley)
The Clyne Prize for this year was awarded to Fiona O’Neill for her thesis Multilingual francophone professionals’ experience of moving between languages and cultures: A narrative study. Fiona gave a talk at ALAA and the prize was awarded to her there.
LS awarded certificates for the Laves, Jalwang, and Kaldor awards:
Kaldor: awarded to Sophie Richard – to attend the HiSoN (Historical Sociolinguistics Network) Summer School at Leiden University and the CoEDL summer school.
Laves: awarded to Harriet Shepherd, to conduct fieldwork on Sudest, an Oceanic language of Papua New Guinea.
Jalwang: awarded to Anna Crane – to add genres to the corpus of texts used in school based maintenance programs for Gija, a Non-Pama-Nyungan language of East Kimberley. (Anna was not at the AGM to receive the certificate which will be mailed to her.)
Talkley Award: Katie Jepson’s report was that the Talkley Award was awarded this year to the Linguistics Roadshow, closely followed in votes by the team behind Languages on the Move.
8. Report on Fully (Sic).
Allie Severin called for attendees to encourage keen students who want to write publicly to contact Allie. Fully (Sic) will also be looking for a new editor soon, so many opportunities here for students to get involved.
9. Election of Officers
Thanks to retiring officers: Nick Thieberger (Secretary), Andrea Schalley (Associate Secretary), Caroline Jones (VP)
Associate Secretary: LS explained that Andrea Schalley had listed the jobs involved in Associate Secretary and the Exec’s view is that there is a potential to split this into two roles and perhaps give some to one VP (currently one VP handles membership lists, one handles prizes, and the 3rd one has no nominated role). The meeting agreed with LS’ suggestion to split the role and recruit some additional help if necessary.
Nominations were called for the following positions
One Vice-President – Andrea Schalley, Ilana Mushin were nominated; Ilana Mushin elected by secret ballot
Secretary – Caroline Jones was nominated and elected
Associate Secretary (2) – Joe Blythe, Robert Mailhammer were nominated and elected
Treasurer – Mark Harvey was nominated and elected
Motion that nominations be accepted (L Stirling / D Bradley)
LS thanked the people in new roles and outgoing people.
10. ALS turns 50: update
LS advised that it will shortly be announced that the ALS will offer 5 grants of $500 each for students and others to interview senior members of ALS to record oral histories of the society and linguistics in Australasia more generally. LS says the Exec has a tentative list of names which will be published in the call, but asked for further suggestions to be sent to her. It is hoped that there may be a way to showcase these interviews at ALS in 2017.
Celeste Rodriguez Louro reported that an interview has already been done with Göran Hammarström and that she will interview Ian Malcolm. Celeste suggests a WordPress site where you can play audio/video clips etc. as a way of showcasing the local history for newcomers especially. LS agrees and said ALS will employ a web developer to make that so it is not another job for Associate Secretary.
LS says the Exec also have copies of old newsletters which were posted to Nick in Melbourne. These could potentially be scanned and made available. Nick Evans asked if ALS can find a copy of the program of the first meeting. It was suggested that Hammarström might be someone to ask. Celeste asks if Michael Clyne’s materials have gone to an archive. Grev Corbett suggests crowdsourcing the contribution of old programs and filling in gaps by starting off with an incomplete list on a website. LS called for volunteers or people already doing things on this.
Nick Evans commented positively on the growing capacity of ALS to support young scholars and asked if ALS could extend this by holding a fundraiser at the 50th anniversary dinner. LS agreed that this is a good idea.
11. Linguistics in Schools (Jean Mulder)
Jean Mulder suggested that, like the US and Great Britain societies, it would be helpful if ALS had a subcommittee on linguistics in schools. The functions of this would be to promote linguistics in the educational context. Jean noted the opportunities presented by the presence of linguistics in the new National Curriculum’s English stream, the NSW and Victorian curricula needing to be derived from this. Another useful focus would be developing teacher educational and support materials. A number of people have successfully been involved in the VCE English language subject, now in its 16th year with 5-6,000 students coming out of a 2 year sequence but it takes continuous input and engagement.
Kate Burridge agreed with the suggestion, saying it would be good to try to work across state borders and Jean Mulder commented on the local within-state commitment and support required for this to be successful.
Motion that a subcommittee of the ALS be established on linguistics in school and that the people on the committee come up with the terms of reference (L Stirling / K Burridge).
The following people self-nominated to be on the Linguistics in Schools Committee: Jean Mulder, Kate Burridge, Lee Murray, Chloe Diskin.
John Giacon advised that a group of people working on teaching Indigenous languages in schools are meeting the day after ALS 2016, and looking for support from linguists and universities to support the teaching of Aboriginal languages in school.
Jane Simpson commented that there are few Indigenous languages taught at university and the status of most such courses is fragile, so any support would be good.
Motion to establish an ALS subcommittee on teaching Indigenous languages at university (J Giacon / R Amery)
13. Social Media
Celeste Rodriguez Louro raised the question of whether ALS could do more in social media. LS agreed that this has been discussed at Exec and there is a lot of scope e.g. to employ a student. Rob Mailhammer said that an increased media presence for ALS in general would be good. It was discussed that social media requires commitment to updating. Jean Mulder suggested that perhaps this effort could be integrated with Fully (Sic). Celeste Rodriguez Louro suggested that Twitter / Facebook could also be used for conferences and archivally. LS said that Exec would cost this out and discuss with Treasurer and the meeting agreed to leave the decision to Exec.
14. Any Other Business
Diana Eades spoke on behalf of Helen Fraser. Helen wanted to bring to the attention of ALS membership that injustice is being caused by legal practices that allow detectives’ transcripts to be provided to ‘assist’ the court in hearing indistinct covert recordings used as evidence in criminal trials. Such covert recordings are legal and they provide powerful evidence but the audio is often very poor quality. Helen has done research in relation to this issue following up on priming research which has shown that if you read a transcript before listening to it, it biases your perception. Additional related issues are that nonexperts (e.g. police, jurors, lawyers) do not understand that transcription is an abstraction from the signal. Helen is keen to get official support from ALS at some point, and plans to move ahead with work in this area in the new year. Meanwhile her website is forensicphonetics.com.au
Nick Evans advised that the next CoEDL Summer School will be held the week before the ALS 2017 conference. The Summer School will be held in Canberra and will have a typology focus. There will be scholarships to attend the CoEDL Summer School and it will be open to all, not just those affiliated with CoEDL.
Jonathan Schlossberg reported that while Ruth Singer is in Europe, he and Stefan Schnell have been organising Linguistics in the Pub. Jonathan would like to invite any interstate visitors to get in touch; any staff or students who want to lead the discussion are welcome and announcements go out through the RNLD mailing list.
The meeting closed at 2:05pm.